Monday, March 19, 2012

The Kettlebell Overhead Walk

The Problem(s):

  • A weak press
  • Bad snatch form
  • Poor shoulder mobility

The Fix:

The Overhead Kettlebell Walk

I’ve done a lot of bench pressing in my day. And while I got pretty strong at this specific exercise (I benched 455 for a single at my peak), it left me with some big time upper body imbalances – one being tight a@@ shoulders.

So when I first started training seriously with kettlebells a few years ago – which naturally comes with a lot of overhead work – my weakness was pathetically exposed! And all of my overhead work/exercises – presses, snatches, etc. – suffered because of it.

The kettlebell overhead walk exercise (combined with a steady diet of TGU’s) was largely responsible for restoring health and natural range of motion to my upper body. It’s a simple drill I first learned at the Russian Kettlebell Challenge. And now, I use it almost every day in my own training and with personal training/boot camp clients. It’s fantastic for improving your pressing/snatching form, teaching you how to ‘suck the shoulder into the socket’, improving shoulder mobility, and a whole lot more. Check out this video to learn how to do it:


I hope the kettlebell overhead walk is a valuable addition to your training program!

Thanks

Forest Vance, RKC II

P.S. For more exercises like this, check out these basic kettlebell routines at http://kettlebellbasics.net/2010/05/25/kettlebell-routines/.


No comments:

Post a Comment